Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The flaw with Apple iPod

The iPod series of portable media players(or what we generally refer to as MP3 players) has got to be the coolest, classiest and most coveted among all the portable media players available. Well, with over 100 million sets sold since 2001, we can't argue much with that.

However, until today, Apple has refused to incorporate the FM radio receiver in any of it's iPod models -- even though most other manufacturers have done so.

With iPod's production quantity and Apple's clout, the cost of including a radio receiver would probably be around USD1.00(or much lower than that).

So, what's the frigging reason? FM is outdated? No way. It's still being used all over the world -- even though it may be completely replaced by DAB(Digital Audio Broadcast) some time in the future.

Here, I'm going to tell you the reason. Okay, okay, it's just a theory lah.

Actually, Apple is concerned about the sales of songs on iTunes music store(it's the Apple's site where iPod owners can purchase songs and other media files). Apparently, this online music store business is a big money-spinner for Apple.

You see, the money-grubbing corporate asses prefer iPod users to play songs or other media files purchased from iTunes music store. If iPod users spend more time listening to FM radio, the iTunes music store's sales might be adversely affected.

Of course those corporate asses don't want to kill or mistreat the goose(iTunes store) that lays the golden eggs, and risk getting the shareholders really really pissed. Well, shareholders want golden eggs, not roasted goose mah.

Furthermore, with the competitors lagging so far behind and iPod sales going through the roof, we'll sooner see extraterrestrials walking among us than we'll see Apple bow to our demand. Hmm, I'm starting to go overboard.

There you have it. The reason why iPods don't(and won't?) have built-in radio receivers. Whaddya think?

Just my two apples' worth lah.


6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the only reason I've not invested in an iPod yet. Waiting....

Vincent said...

Waiting? :)

There are external/add-on FM receivers available for iPods. But then, you have to pay extra money for one.

Nowadays, I use my Sony NW-E002F MP3 player(which has better audio quality than the iPod) to tune in to Hitz FM most of the time. LOL. Before that, I had an iPod, which was sold after a few months. Oh, by the way, the Sony's SonicStage PC sync software sucks. But that's another story lah.

Anonymous said...

Thats sound very reasonable to me.
I also doubt why in the world the don't want to include FM receiver. Now I knew why...

Vincent said...

Yup ayie, it sounds credible to me too .... wish I could pick Steve Jobs' brains :D

Anonymous said...

For me, i dun really fancy on iPod.. But for my friends they want a iPod touch !

Vincent said...

Ooo... the iPhone lookalike... well, one thing for sure.. it looks classy and cool.

But for me, I've had enough of iPod's "looks" .... now, I only look for the features that I want, and the audio quality. (well, still has to be reasonably good looking tho) :D